Friday, July 10, 2009

Chapter 8 of "Marian and Eleanor" Story (Marian)

-Chapter Eight- (Marian)

Sneaking Around, A Lecture, Father

“That’s a good girl,” I whispered to Nasya as she devoured her fresh hay. I had successfully escaped the view, and hopefully the earshot, of Eleanor and Cecily as I entered Kenton Hall’s stable with my new addition. Nasya had been so compliant—not once did she whinny. Just before stepping out of the stables, I noticed the empty stall once filled by father’s stallion, Achilles. Oh, how father loved that horse! So much so that he could not bear to leave home without him. I wondered if Achilles could withstand the struggles and pain that war brought. It had been a miracle that father had.


And it would be a miracle if I could get past my sisters and Nan without them shrieking about my appearance or my putrid smell! I rushed to the back door in the kitchen and started on tip-toe past Nan who was working her magic with herbs, spices, meat, and the vegetables I had gathered earlier that morning. Just then, the bold mouse who had decided to inhabit the kitchen for a month now scurried out of its hole in the wall and stared straight up at Cecily who was peeling apples. Dropping her apple, she belted out a shriek and I knew my chances of trying to remain unseen were slim and none. Nan whirled around, armed herself with a broom, only to stop her rodent-hunt and evaluate my freshly-stained frock.


At that moment, Eleanor sprinted into the kitchen.


“What in the world is going—?” Her ruthless eyes looked me up and down. And I was certain that another one of her “older-sister lectures” was coming on. I listened to it not as respectfully as I should have with eyes concentrating on a particularly interesting spot on the ceiling, arms firmly crossed, and a foot tapping. After her lecture, she had attempted to pry out of me all that had happened earlier in the day, but I would not and could not confide in her; if not for my sake, but for Robin’s.

~~~~~******~~~~~

As I hurriedly prepared myself for father’s return, Robin’s exploits, words, and most of all, his face echoed and lingered in my thoughts. I had to stop thinking about him! And then, there he was. There was that knock I had longed to hear for so long. He was finally here. Finally home.


“Father!” I gasped and nearly tripped over every flight of stairs that led to the main hall.


Nan, Eleanor, and Cecily were surrounding him with exclamations of joy and excitement, but the only person I could see was father, and I rushed toward him as fast as my feet could fly.


“And there’s my Marian, always late, but what a girl!” he shouted proudly.

I could not help myself and the tears flowed. It felt so good to hear his voice, to see his face, outlined with both laugh-lines and worry wrinkles, and be tucked safe in his paternal embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment